Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Signing Open House & Homeschool Writers' Seminar

Last Saturday, as a warm-up to my public book-signings, I held an Open House at my home and invited local friends, church members, and my homeschool group.  It seems that most people, when they find out I've had a book published, do not say, "Oh, I'd love to read your book!" Many of them instead say, "Really?  How did you do that?  I'd like to publish a book!"  And so I decided it would be a good idea to offer a Homeschool Writers' Seminar that afternoon for the homeschool group, sharing what I've learned over the past few months in this process.

I'd have to say it went well.  I had some wonderful friends come for moral support, and a few new people.  I sold a few books.  The real success came, however, in the number of people who said, "I can't attend your open house, but I would really love to buy a book."  Those people may not have known the books were for sale otherwise (unless they read my relentless self-promotion on Facebook!).   I do not want to push anyone to buy my book because they know me and they feel like they should, or I have put them on the spot.  I do, however, want to make sure that everyone who knows me knows the book is available, because you never know who might like it as a gift for grandchildren or as an addition to their personal library.  I like to find ways of marketing that effectively get the word out without being a "pushy" salesperson.  I believe this one worked well.  Hopefully no one reading this will say, "Um, no, she was pretty pushy!"  :)

When my husband and I placed our first order for some of these books to sell on our own, I considered ordering 100.  It seemed like a lot to me and I was afraid I may be stuck with some inventory.  Then the publishing company suggested we start with 300.  Three hundred books!!  Are you kidding me?  That's a lot!  But we decided to believe that I would be successful and ordered the 300.

It's a good thing, because after 3 weeks, I have already sold 101.  That original hundred would not have lasted me long!  I still haven't had an official Book Signing, so that is all friends, family, my Facebook & blog, and the Open House from Saturday.  This coming Saturday, as I may have mentioned (smirk :), I will have my first public Book Signing at Cups & Cones in Havelock, NC.  The press release has gone out, and tomorrow morning I will be interviewed on the local talk radio station!

Stay tuned!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment